Castle Townshend has been the seat of the Townshend family in Ireland for many generations. The centre part was built around 1650. The original Castles were destroyed in the 17/18th Centuries. The two towers were then added to the present Castle, using the stone from the ruined Castle. It stands in spacious grounds facing southeast, overlooking the peaceful waterfront of Castletownshend harbour (pictured below).
The Townshend Gathering takes place 28-30 June 2013. Please contact us for details.
The ground floor hall/sitting room (below left) is oak panelled and
the elegant dining room (below right) overlooks the waterfront. Both these
rooms retain most of the original furniture and family portraits.
The village of Castletownshend (pictured below left) is centred around the steep main road that leads down to the Castle, the quayside and the harbour. There are a number of pubs in the village, including the Egon Ronay listed pub and restaurant Mary Anne's; there's also a post office and a shop. Below and to the right is the view of the Bay as seen from the Castle grounds on a summer's evening.
Weddings at the Castle
Saint Barrahane's Church (Church of Ireland) stands on a hill close to the castle overlooking the bay, making it a beautiful location for a wedding. Marquee wedding receptions can also be organised in the castle grounds with views over the harbour.